NBA
At Risk Youth.
What a term.
Makes me think about a girl I taught about ten years ago. Wow. She'd be an adult by now.
Anyways, I taught her art my first year of teaching. She stood about 5'11' and had an attitude that was known to turn on a dime. You were never sure where any conversation, instruction, or question was going to go with her and more often than you'd hope, you were told soundly where to go. Looking back I remember more good interactions with her than bad. Sometimes teenagers are just teenagers.
One time she told me they used to have an after school program in her elementary school where you could go and play basketball. Being athletic and loving basketball in particular, of course she went.
One day she was confronted by a woman with a microphone who asked her several questions. As it turned out she told the local news crew her plans were to finish up grade eight and play in the NBA. She laughed when she told me that story, she couldn't believe how stupid she'd been. Her family teased her for weeks.
I'm not sure what became of her. She spent several weeks in the hospital for her grade ten and eleven. I'm not sure she ever graduated. I don't know if it was because she was sick or 'at risk'.
I've been thoughtful about kids this new semester. I think I always get reflective meeting new students and this year is no different.
I have three kids who were kicked out of the fancy pants collegiate down the road. Apparently our school is the dumping ground for them. Two of the kids were given the boot for behavioral issues. One of the boys is at the stage where he's given up. It's sad to see.
There are times when I guess you just focus on the positive with the 'at risk' kids. What a stupid term. 'At Risk'.
All that term means in this city is that you are poor.
What a term.
Makes me think about a girl I taught about ten years ago. Wow. She'd be an adult by now.
Anyways, I taught her art my first year of teaching. She stood about 5'11' and had an attitude that was known to turn on a dime. You were never sure where any conversation, instruction, or question was going to go with her and more often than you'd hope, you were told soundly where to go. Looking back I remember more good interactions with her than bad. Sometimes teenagers are just teenagers.
One time she told me they used to have an after school program in her elementary school where you could go and play basketball. Being athletic and loving basketball in particular, of course she went.
One day she was confronted by a woman with a microphone who asked her several questions. As it turned out she told the local news crew her plans were to finish up grade eight and play in the NBA. She laughed when she told me that story, she couldn't believe how stupid she'd been. Her family teased her for weeks.
I'm not sure what became of her. She spent several weeks in the hospital for her grade ten and eleven. I'm not sure she ever graduated. I don't know if it was because she was sick or 'at risk'.
I've been thoughtful about kids this new semester. I think I always get reflective meeting new students and this year is no different.
I have three kids who were kicked out of the fancy pants collegiate down the road. Apparently our school is the dumping ground for them. Two of the kids were given the boot for behavioral issues. One of the boys is at the stage where he's given up. It's sad to see.
There are times when I guess you just focus on the positive with the 'at risk' kids. What a stupid term. 'At Risk'.
All that term means in this city is that you are poor.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home