Greeneggsandtam

When weak coffee just won't suffice.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Spec-turkular Failure

I cooked my first bird last night and it was a disaster.
I was supposed to cook a turkey for the school Xmas festivus today.
I didn't think to ask anyone about when to refrigerate the cooked bird and left it too long. I think it was because we didn't put it in the oven until 9 at night that I thought it would be okay sitting in the oven cooling slowly.
Oops.
I've never claimed to be a good cook. Well any sort of cook. I really don't cook well. I should've thought to ask. But I didn't and now they've wasted $45.00 on some dodgey turkey.
I feel it was a learning experience for everyone. They'll know not to ask me next year.

What made the sting a bit worse was the secretary over there is outwardly unshakeable. She's perfectly coiffed everyday and was the first to point out how "cute" it was that I didn't carve the turkey before bringing it to the school. That's when she started grilling me about the cooking times.
Good pun.
They decided my turkey posed certain health risks and opted to throw it out and buy some ham. Well. Better safe than sorry. I'd hate to be responsible for mass food poisoning. Except maybe the secretary.
I think part of my turkey shame is that I'm the new one on that staff, they trusted me with food and I'm insecure about my cooking.
I'll get over this one. In time.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Dymund said...

Sounds like that secretary could use some salmonella. Those perfectly coifed women freak me out.

4:28 p.m.  
Blogger Elan Morgan said...

Are you at a new school?

5:06 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home