Cold Snap and Soccer
-42 degrees
Are you kidding me?
Am I getting soft in my old age? Well yes literally I am. But I rather think this -42 degrees nonsense is wreaking havoc with my psyche as well. When the weather gets this ridiculously cold I start to worry and imagine what would happen if our infrastructure went. Whether or not I'd be one of those survivor types or if my genetics would only oblige to carry my line into the beginning this century and no further. I do like a heated house with running water and electricity.
Sometimes I wax poetic thinking that my people were the first people on this continent and thusly I would be able to survive. At these times I believe I have a kinship with this frozen prairie and that the great Manitou has my back. I sometimes think I could brave the cold, kill a deer, build a shelter and live off the land.
The reality of it is that I have a hard time with bugs, rather delicate skin and camping has never done a thing for me.
I would die in the wilderness inside of fifteen minutes.
I remember when I grew my hair long. It was all the same length and reminiscent of Buffy St. Marie ( I liked think). I'd gone camping with some students and to make a long story short, ended up with my hair all tangled up in some brush I was attempting to run through. One of the kids asked just what kind of Indian I was. More of an indoors one I guess.
Tonight I have a soccer game and I'm pretty excited about it. It's the co-ed team I'm on. It's in the fun league and we do have an awful lot of fun.
Read: We go for a lot of beer after the games.
Tonight we are having a Christmas wind-up/sangria/pingpong championship.
I like my women's team, but the games are a little more competitive. They seem to mean more to us. Our team has been together for three years now and until this year we've always struggled to get out of the last position in the last division in the city. We've clawed our way to the second last place two years running.
Our cheer was,"We're not the worst!!"
This year we are in first place so far. We are still in the last division which makes us akin to the smartest kids in the slow class, but we'll take it.
Okay. Enough of this computer stuff. I need to clean my cold cold house and hope the electricity stays on. I'd never survive the cold snap.
Are you kidding me?
Am I getting soft in my old age? Well yes literally I am. But I rather think this -42 degrees nonsense is wreaking havoc with my psyche as well. When the weather gets this ridiculously cold I start to worry and imagine what would happen if our infrastructure went. Whether or not I'd be one of those survivor types or if my genetics would only oblige to carry my line into the beginning this century and no further. I do like a heated house with running water and electricity.
Sometimes I wax poetic thinking that my people were the first people on this continent and thusly I would be able to survive. At these times I believe I have a kinship with this frozen prairie and that the great Manitou has my back. I sometimes think I could brave the cold, kill a deer, build a shelter and live off the land.
The reality of it is that I have a hard time with bugs, rather delicate skin and camping has never done a thing for me.
I would die in the wilderness inside of fifteen minutes.
I remember when I grew my hair long. It was all the same length and reminiscent of Buffy St. Marie ( I liked think). I'd gone camping with some students and to make a long story short, ended up with my hair all tangled up in some brush I was attempting to run through. One of the kids asked just what kind of Indian I was. More of an indoors one I guess.
Tonight I have a soccer game and I'm pretty excited about it. It's the co-ed team I'm on. It's in the fun league and we do have an awful lot of fun.
Read: We go for a lot of beer after the games.
Tonight we are having a Christmas wind-up/sangria/pingpong championship.
I like my women's team, but the games are a little more competitive. They seem to mean more to us. Our team has been together for three years now and until this year we've always struggled to get out of the last position in the last division in the city. We've clawed our way to the second last place two years running.
Our cheer was,"We're not the worst!!"
This year we are in first place so far. We are still in the last division which makes us akin to the smartest kids in the slow class, but we'll take it.
Okay. Enough of this computer stuff. I need to clean my cold cold house and hope the electricity stays on. I'd never survive the cold snap.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home