Greeneggsandtam

When weak coffee just won't suffice.

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Harmoniums

I have a thing for Kurt Vonnegut. I think in a different life we might have been great friends. We'd have been great friends in this life if he hadn't been a great and renowned novelist, and lived in a different country.
I like everything about his writing. Both short stories and novels. I like the characters he created, his claim that he was a great humanist, and of course he was bloody well funny.

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand." - Vonnegut

I just re-read the Sirens of Titan last week and was once again charmed by a group of characters within, called Harmoniums. They apparently don't do much but are all together likeable. They feed off the songs of Mercury. They are square, transparent and stick to walls in caverns deep below the surface of the planet. They glow beautiful colours and inexplicably arrange themselves into beautiful patterns. They communitcate telepathically by repeating only two messages to each other:
"Here I am, here I am, here I am..."
"So glad you are, so glad your are, so glad your are..."
and so forth.
I'm not saying I'd want to be a Harmonium or anything but it's such a nice sentiment being told how glad someone else is that you're just there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home