Greeneggsandtam

When weak coffee just won't suffice.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Yuck

End of term madness and I simply must put my marks into the computer...Soon... Well I'm in front of the computer so there's a step in the right direction. Funny how I can almost be in a panic about doing up my marks and then just completely screw the pooch and sit here enjoying my own thoughts. Haha who says stuff like that - enoying my own thoughts. What a geek. I wasn't even really enjoying them. I was more trying to avoid the unpleasantries around the building. For instance:
I've just heard some disturbing and baffling news from one of the adults here in the school. Before I mention the upsetting news, let me introduce you to this fine woman. She is K. K is funny, understanding, easy-going and has an admirable ability to get along with teens.
K had a terrible day yesterday. She's the one employee in the building whom I think should be allowed to have a bad day and then bitch about it. (Yes, the rest of us are princesses and should suck it up and move on.)
Her job is to supervise the cafeteria all day long and moniter who is in there, find out where kids should be, and see to it they're in class if they should be. It's an incredibly thankless job for which she's underpaid and generally under-appreciated. Most of us in the building have, not even one iota of the supervisory responsibility she has and in fact if there's nonsense in the halls, it's easy enough to close the door, turn up the radio and return to marking. Here I sit. I hope there's no nonsense in the hallways.
K was registering her dislike for a particular student and when I asked why, I wished I hadn't. Among other things, she described him and a former student at a party urinating on his drunk girlfriend and later DP'ing her. Okay I had to ask what a DP was. (And yes I am a complete geek once again.) What terrible little bastards.
How does she get this information? Yuck.
Now I've got to fight the urge to kill this young man in the hallway at break. Who does that sort of thing? I like teaching, and I like where I work, but jeez are there some f'd up kids in the world! Further to that, what of the girlfriend? Someone walked out of that place needing therapy, I've no doubt.
It's funny because when you see them only an hour a day you've no idea what anyone is really like I guess. Grade nines are so easy to teach. They're young enough to be a bit naive about the world and old enough to be funny. It suits me fine.
I must go and enter my damnedable marks now. Avoidance is no longer an option. The Borg would say that resistance is futile. Cool people wouldn't say anything of the sort.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

ok, but what is DPing?

10:42 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home